Sunday, September 1, 2013

Oulanka Kansallispuisto - Oulanka National Park

I have returned, in once piece, from my 35km hiking course in Oulanka National Park. It was a program offered by my lukio that I took with about 30 other students from second and third year.

I had a wonderful time, it was absolutely amazing. I really love hiking, so this trip was right up my alley. I'd done hiking trips before so I knew how to pack and what to bring, as well as what to expect. The Manninen's graciously lent me a backpack, sleeping bag, mattress and even a stove. My backpack weighed in at 15kg, about 33 pounds, but it was nothing I couldn't handle. 

I am very thankful for my enthusiastic hiking partner Emi, who hiked at a ferocious speed that motivated me to keep walking. She was very patient in answering my questions about her life in Finland and singing me the Finnish alphabet, and she only laughed a little bit whenever I forgot the word for 'path' (which is polku Emi, I remember it now!). 

This trip was also a great opportunity for me to meet the elusive Finnish teenager! Admittedly, I didn't talk to as many of them as I had hoped, but I still think I am on my way to making friends. I have wonderful memories of sitting around the campfire attempting to understand what everyone is saying, and the absolute joy I felt when I understood what was going on. There were some very confusing moments though, such as one where I was certain some of the guys were talking about roasting and eating another student. Thankfully I had misunderstood. I also have a hilarious memory of Teemu interrupting a conversation to say "Claire, say 'about'", obviously hoping I would pronounce it 'aboot'. He was disappointed by my answer and left the fire. 

On the final day, after we'd made it to our destination, another student wanted to do some more hiking to a little camp about 3km away. I had sworn to never walk again ten minutes earlier in a dramatic flop to the ground, but I agreed to go with him. I left my pack behind but the crazy kid brought his backpack with him. We had a lovely conversation about biking, and he was very excited when he found out I lived close to Whistler. During that little trek I made a promise to myself that if someone asked me to come somewhere I would go, even if the antisocial humbug part of me wanted me to stay home. I realised that, if I stayed in the comfort of the Manninen house all the time I would never see the rest of Finland. 

Altogether, the experience was one that I will not forget, and would recommend to any other exchange student visiting Muhos lukio.





Probably the most disappointing group photo ever taken, but it's what we've got!

My tent group.

No comments:

Post a Comment